Drain Cleaning & Other Tips To Keep Your Drains Flowing
Not all drain problems result in full-on clogs. Before a complete blockage occurs, there are usually warning signs, like slow drains.
Plumbers can help with various methods like drain cleaning, but there are some steps you can take prior to calling in a professional. There are also some steps you shouldn’t take, and that’s just as vital to know. Either way, slow drains will eventually become clogged drains, so make an appointment for a professional assessment from a reputable plumbing company.
The Do’s And Don’ts Of Drain Cleaning
The best thing you can do for your plumbing is always call in an honest local plumber for a professional diagnosis. However, in the meantime, you can try some tricks to keep those drains flowing – and avoid some common mistakes.
- Hot water used intermittently can help with grease issues. The heat helps dissolve and dislodge stuck-on grease. However, too much build-up will require professional cleaning and removal.
- That being said, make sure you’re avoiding putting grease and fatty foods down your drain – even your garbage disposal. As useful as disposals are, many foods should still go directly to the trash.
- A snake is beneficial and can be used as a DIY method for homeowners, but it has to be used correctly. A drain snake is ideal for an issue like hair but can shift the blockage and cause a worse clog.
- Do not use harsh chemical drain cleaners. They often mask a more serious problem like tree root intrusion and can destroy your pipes. Store-bought drain cleaners are usually a temporary fix instead of a long-term solution.
- Boiling water with vinegar may help certain types of clogs until a professional plumber can arrive. It’s best to avoid using that sink or tub until an industry expert can take a look.
Bluewater Plumbing and Heating is ready to spring into action when you’re searching for Queens area plumbers, so call us now. We provide prompt and professional drain cleaning and other plumbing services, and look forward to working with you. Take good care of your drains and plumbing by contacting us now and scheduling your appointment.